Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Remix Friday: Ghadah Blanket

Crocheters, really fiber lovers in general, are some thoughtful and generous folks. I have seen so many crafters go out of their way to bring something special and personal to a handmade gift. When Mana made a blanket for a special baby she didn't stop at the pattern... she took it to a new level of awesome with this creative Remix.

The Crocheter
My name is Mana (Manahil, actually), and I’m 23 year-old, from Saudi Arabia. After graduating high school back in 2007, my aunt gifted me some crochet hooks and yarn, and I didn’t know the slightest thing there is to know about crochet back then. I asked her to teach me and she showed me the basics. Then, I pretty much did the rest on my own!

The Original Pattern
Personalized Baby Afghan by Kim Guzman 

The Story
I loved the pattern from the first time I had seen it on Ravelry, and I always thought it was too special to make it for just about any baby!

In August 2011, one of my closest friends, Ghadah, passed away in a terrible car accident. It was truly a tragedy! Then two years later, her sister who’s also a friend of mine, gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl I know, and they decided to call her Ghadah after her aunt. It was the best news I heard, and right away, I knew that blanket was going to be made for her!

The Remix
I wasn’t too crazy about the heart border, so I decided to change it, but I wasn’t too sure of what else to make! I thought of afghan squares, and I had few designs in mind, but nothing really clicked, until I stumbled upon a picture of the Fantasy Blanket on Instagram, and I thought “yes, I want something like that!” also, the Mixed Stitch Stripey Blanket was another pattern I took inspiration from.







Crochet is... I can’t think of three words, I can only think of one... ART! Crochet is art, to me.

What a kind and heartfelt gesture. The blanket is beautiful! Well done, Mana. You can connect with Mana as “manakhq” on Ravelry, Instagram and Pinterest. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. it's so cute !! I see the love for your died friend in this blanket !! I'm sure this little miss will love it because it's full of true love and babies feels that

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.