Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Special Edition: Basketweave Tutorial

So here's the deal. I had a few comments requesting a tutorial for the basketweave stitch. This has inspired Illuminate Crochet's first Special Edition post. That's right folks, today you get two posts instead of one! I may do this from time to time as I see fit. The following is an explanation of the basketweave stitch for all interested parties. To be successful you will need to be confident in your ability to chain and double crochet. You may also wish to have a notepad and pen to tally your rows as you complete them. Any size hook and yarn is fine, but I recommend 5.5 mm or 6 mm in a light color when you are learning something new. Each picture will be followed by text instructions. Ready? Here we go!

Start by chaining a multiple of 4. I chained 16 for my swatch, but I would chain 20 or 24 for a scarf width depending on the yarn and hook size. Add 4 more chain stitches. Since I started with 16, this brings my total to 20.

 We are now ready to begin the first row. The entire pattern will be worked as double crochet. Skip the first 3 chain stitches, yarn over, and insert your hook into the fourth chain stitch.

 Work 1 double crochet stitch into each chain stitch across. I have 18 posts including the turning chain made by skipping those first three stitches.

 Chain 2 and turn. We will now begin our second row by working around the posts. We will not be working into the "v's" like we would if we were doing another row of double crochet. We will be working around the posts made by the stitches of the previous row.

Skip the first post. Yarn over and insert your hook from right to left under the following double crochet stitch. In this picture you can see the post resting over the front of my hook, followed by my yarn over, followed by my working loop (the loop that always stays on your hook as you work).

 Yarn over and draw up a loop just like you would with any other double crochet stitch. 

 Finish your double crochet stitch as you normally would (yarn over, pull through two, yarn over, pull through two again). Congratulations! You have made a front post double crochet stitch. Notice that the stitch is now raised in the front.
Work three more stitches in just the same way, inserting your hook under the posts. 

We will now start a new set of four, this time back post double crochet. Yarn over and insert your hook from right to left under the next post from the back of the work. The post will rest on the back of your hook. Here you see a view from the top.

Here is a view from the front. Notice my hook is behind the work and the post of the current stitch is resting on the back of my hook. 

Yarn over and draw up a loop.

You now have three loops on your hook. Finish the stitch just like a regular double crochet to complete your back post double crochet stitch.

Here I have completed 4 back post double crochet stitches, inserting my hook from behind each time, pulling the posts back. Notice the difference between the four front post stitches and the four back post stitches.

Here is a view from the top.

Remember those front post double crochet stitches? Work another set of four. Continue working alternating sets of four until you reach the end of the row. I worked 4 front post dcs, 4 back post dcs, 4 front post dcs, and 4 back post dcs.

To finish the row, work 1 double crochet stitch into the top of the turning chain from the previous row. Chain 2 and turn.

For row three simply repeat row two. In other words, when you come to a front post like the one above, work a front post double crochet stitch. When you come to a back post, work a back post double crochet stitch. 

Here is my first completed front post stitch of my third row.

Remember to insert from the back when working a back post double crochet.

Yarn over.

Draw up a loop.

Finish the stitch as you would a normal double crochet stitch. 

Finish the row by working a double crochet stitch into the top of the turning chain as before.

Whew! We are done with row three, our second row of around the post crochet. Remember, our first row was regular double crochet.

Work two more rows as we did before. Here is my swatch at the end of my fifth row. I worked 1 row of regular double crochet and then 4 rows of around the post crochet.

Four our next row (row 6) we will start by chaining 2 as before. 

Don't panic. We are going to reverse the position of our posts. Instead of starting with a front post double crochet, we will start with a back post double crochet. Here I have yarned over and inserted my hook from the back, pulling the first post back as well. 

This is what it looks like from the front. Complete the stitch as you would a normal double crochet.

Here is a view from the back after I completed the stitch. Repeat this process for the following 3 front posts, converting them into back posts.

When you reach a back post, work a front post double crochet stitch, inserting your hook from the front. Here I have drawn up a loop before finishing the stitch.

This is what your work should look like at the end of row 6. The front posts are now back posts and vice versa. It may feel funny to work these stitch changes but I know you can do it! If you make a mistake simply pull it out and try again.

Don't forget to work 1 double crochet into the top of the turning chain at the end of every row. In this picture you can see the turning chain just hanging out and waiting to be crocheted into.

For rows 7, 8, and 9, go with the flow. When you reach a front post work a front post, when you reach a back post work a back post. Here I am at the end of row 9 after completing two sets of 4 rows each. To continue your object, continue working 4 rows alike and switching the posts on every 5th row. These sets of four identical rows are what form your basketweave. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments! If you need a good video, I suggest All Free Crochet's YouTube series with Mikey. Happy hooking!





20 comments:

  1. I am going to have to settle down with some yarn and learn this, I really like your finished scarf from the previous post. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I'd love to see your item when it's done.

      Delete
  2. I found you through Ravelry.com and I LOVE your work. I am not nearly as accomplished as you but am working at it. I have been trying unsuccessfully to get your pattern for the 'Sweetest Baby Blanket'. The link on Ravelry does not work. Would it be possible for you to send me the pattern? My user name on Ravelry is Darlajune. My email address is darlayow@gmail.com. I have a new grandchild on the way and also a new great-niece that I would like to make this blanket for. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the compliments! You make me blush :) I sent you a message on Ravelry regarding the link issue. Hopefully we can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this scarf so much! I started one tonight for my boyfriend. I was just wondering if there is any special way to finish it once I reach the end. And also. Do you have any tips on working a new scain in once the first runs out? Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No special way to finish it, just the standard weave in :) I like my basketweave items simple and raw. If you wanted to add a bit more you could work one row of regular double crochet at the very end and then add fringe to both ends of the scarf. To work in the second skein on this scarf I followed the usual course of pulling the new yarn through on the last step of one of the stitches. I then wove in the loose ends. Crocheting over your ends doesn't work very well on a basketweave in my experience. Thanks for commenting! You'll have to share your scarf when it's done.

      Delete
  5. I was looking for a good pattern to make my husband a scarf for Christmas. I think this one is going to do nicely. ty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! So glad I was able to provide what you were looking for :)

      Delete
  6. Yay this pattern is perfect and simple and I think I love you! ::) thank you for posting it.

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi.. This tutorial is so easy to follow, especially for a beginner like me. Thank you so much. Can you suggest an edging that might not ruin the masculine feel of the scarf??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I'm so glad you like the tutorial. A simple single crochet edging and maybe some fringe on either end would still make a masculine scarf.

      Delete
  8. Love this pattern. I am in hopes of taking this to a diagonal type with the weaves. By that I mean black as primary then incorporate gray but at various levels. Not sure if it will work. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really cool and interesting. It would require a lot of color changing, but it could be done. Good luck!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic! Thank you so much for posting this. I'm going to try it with incorporating different earthtone colors in alternating patterns, should be a really fun challenge. I'll post pics of my results if you like! ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for the tutorial! Charlotta Fearnhead

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pattern is easy to follow. My scarf is coming along beautifully. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please share! Note that due to spam moderation there is a delay in comment posting.